Saturday, February 11, 2017

Sacrament and Sacrifice

Tomorrow is the Sabbath, and members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will get the privilege and opportunity to partake of the Sacrament once again.  As a mother with small children, it is often hard to feel like I'm really in tune with the Spirit during the Sacrament or that I'm really getting out of the Sacrament what I need.  I recently learned a valuable lesson that has helped me make the Sacrament more meaningful.

Before Christ, covenant people participated in the law of sacrifice, which included sacrificing animals.  After Christ's death, this practice was done away with and the Sacrament was instituted by Christ himself.  "The death of Jesus Christ...ended the shedding of blood as a gospel ordinance. It is now replaced in the Church by the sacrament of the bread and the water, in remembrance of the offering of Jesus Christ." (Bible Dictionary: Sacrifice).  

Now, I had previously realized that the act of sacrificing animals ended with the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus Christ.  What I did NOT realize is that the sacrament REPLACED that ancient act.  The sacrament is like a sacrificial altar.  I had never thought of the sacrament table as an altar!  So, what are we supposed to sacrifice?  

Elder Lynn G. Robbins in the Notes at the end of his talk, "The Righteous Judge" said, "The sacrifice we offer on the altar of the sacrament table each week is a broken heart and a contrite spirit.  A broken heart is a repentant heart; a contrite spirit is an obedient spirit."

When we have a repentant heart, we turn away from sin (give sin up) and turn to God.  So, you can say that we need to sacrifice our sins.  Elder Robbins said, "An unwillingness to sacrifice as part of our penitence mocks or belittles Christ's greater sacrifice for the same sin and trivializes His suffering - a callous sign of ingratitude."  

As I continued to read in the conference Ensign, I came upon the talk "The Doctrine of Christ" by Brian K. Ashton.  He said, "Make a conscious effort each week to prepare for the sacrament by taking some time to prayerfully consider where we most need to improve.  We could then bring a sacrifice of at least one thing that keeps us from being like Jesus Christ to the sacrament altar, pleading in faith for help, asking for necessary spiritual gifts, and covenanting to improve during the coming week."  In the notes he said, "One might frequently bring the same sacrifice for weeks at a time until, with the help of the Savior, and as Elder Neal A. Maxwell taught, 'it [is] consumed'."  A friend of mine  pointed out that it is interesting that "consumed" is the word here.  Parts of the ancient sacrifices were "consumed" or eaten.  Also, we "consume" the bread and water of the sacrament.  How fitting that through the Atonement of Christ our sins and weaknesses can be consumed!

I decided to try this out last week, on Fast Sunday.  As I took the sacrament, I envisioned that sacred table as an altar.  In my mind, I laid down a particular sin or weakness on the altar.  I imagined giving it over to the Savior, and I asked that Heavenly Father would replace that with the good that would bring me closer to the Savior in that particular area.

Throughout the week, I have found that this prayer has been answered, and I have had the opportunity to do better in certain circumstances!  I may have to "frequently bring the same sacrifice,"  but every improvement is to be celebrated!  He is so good to me!  His tender mercies show up so profoundly in my life!!

The sacrament could be different and more significant for us each week as we bring our individual sacrifices to the altar.  We sacrifice those things that are keeping us from becoming more like and coming closer to the Savior.  As we do this, His ultimate sacrifice is not trivialized in our lives, and we are blessed beyond measure!

No comments:

Post a Comment